Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The pursuit of happiness

Sometimes I wonder what is this life, just a chase trying to go after something not yet in your hands, yet a part of the myriad possibilities that life seems to offer us all the time. This surely gives me a sense of bewilderment off and on increasing the mystery of this great thing we call life. In our pursuit for things out of reach we go through a rollercoaster of experiences, some wonderful while some seem to sap out all you seem to have. But voila, then you discover, things are not over, friend. Its a new phase. A clean slate on which you are free to write whatever you want. You can make whatever you want of yourself. There is a slight problem occasionally though. Some call it inertia. I prefer to call it a sense of wanting to be stationary. I know many people don't like change in life. Like many things in life, change is a double edged sword. It can go both ways. It is this wanting no change which has led to delays in the arrival of many achievements of mankind. But then I guess everything has its time. If only we would let go, ready to experiment with what we have we could really make our life so much more exciting. We should realise we have only this finite time on earth which we should utilise to the maximum and leave an imprint in the sands of time. When I go to the golden gates, I want to be remembered for what I am and not who I was. (I am yet to do something worthwhile to be remembered but hope I will. Mark twain once said, to be great one must either write something great or be written about. Both are yet to happen!). The reason why I feel we are not happy are manifold. On a number of occasions we aim for the moon. Now that is good and bad. Good, because if we do that we can reach more than if we aimed for something lower. The bad part you may get demotivated. But don't let that stop you. We should be optimistic and concentrate on the good parts of life. (Life is too short to concentrate on the bad things). Of course, beware my friend. Don't spit on the moon. It'll all fall on you! On other occasions I find that I don't get things because I was doing the wrong things at the right time. My priorities are sometimes misplaced leading to wastage of precious time. I should learn to prioritise and manage things efficiently. I can't just do away with my responsibility to myself and society by taking things lightly when I shouldn't. Sometimes we leave too much to fate and that doesn't pay off well. We should really be doing our best and leaving the rest. There are multiple reasons like this which may lead to non-attainment of goals. But the key is tomorrow is another day. And more importantly, its the first day of the rest of your life. We must make most of it. And while we are doing that, we should never forget that each moment is a gift from god to be enjoyed to the maximum. Be happy in the moment cause it won't return. Also one needs to be happy for whatever comes your way. When things are not going where you want them to, one should never forget the things we have. Many people don't even have a proper meal a day even today. So we should thank god everyday for everything he gives us. All expectations from oneself should be realistic and one shouldn't have any expectations from others if one wants to avoid trouble. Once you do that everything you get is a bonus and life is wonderful. So go ahead, try to do things the best you can and then relax.That shall extract the true Joie De Vivre!

2 comments:

Anil Sharma said...

Makes too much sense for chicken heads like me! :P

My life could have been simpler!

Nice read! :)

Manjushree said...

Positive post...